Monday, October 08, 2007

6 more night’s sleep!


Another 6 nights and we are there again! It’s getting awfully close now. Over here in Kona, one can feel the tension mount by the minute. All athletes have arrived by now, all heavy training is done. From now on, we have to rest and try to minimize the energy spilling during the last week.
Friday night, Pieter and Sofie’s father have arrived. Yesterday my father has landed. So, our condo is getting quite full. I must also say that the level of alcohol usage has gone up quite a bit since the arrival of these two grandpa’s. -:)This morning, I had a nice swim training with Sofie in the swimming pool. Now that Jan ( my father in law) is here, we also have the perfect babysitter for Tille. During our training, we got the company of Luc Van Lierde and Thomas Hellriegel. The two of them are good for 3 Ironman Hawaii victories. If somebody would have told me 10 years ago that, one day, I would be training together with Luc and Thomas ( the numbers 1 and 2 of Hawaii 1996), I would have laughed loudly and certainly not have believed it. To tell you the truth, we have been rather laughing and joking in the water, instead of swimming. I must admit though that these two ‘oldies’ ( almost forty) are still quite fast in the water. -:)
This afternoon, Pieter and my father drove up to Hawi and dropped me there. I biked home, since I wanted to explore this part of the race a little more. I was lucky: I had a strong tailwind, so it became a calm training.Tomorrow I am going to register. That’s when we get our wristband, the official start of Ironman week.just for your info: only 6 night’s sleep to go!

3 Comments:

Blogger Carlos Ruiz said...

Rutger enjoy every single minute and the fact of been a privileged person for being around of such a great Ironman legends and living that experience. I am so sure you will be top three this year. I raced Arizona IM 07´and I was impressed with such a great performance, you did great,especially with a borrowed wetsuit,hehe. Good luck on sunday,enjoy the glory!!!

10:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beste Rutger,

Vorige donderdag geraakte ik in Cusco (Peru) in de sauna aan de praat met mijn gelegenheidsbuurman, een sympathieke Amerikaan die de PR voor je doet en in Peru op huwelijksreis was. Doe hem -zodra hij terug is van op reis- gerust de groeten van Thomas uit Gent. En voor jezelf: veel succes in Hawai!

thomas.cole@telenet.be

2:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your final preparations for the race and go hard on saturday !
Fingers X.

7:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home