Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ironman Arizona Race Report


As mentioned in my previous blog, I felt 100% ready for the race. On Sunday, April 13 I have started in Ironman Arizona with much enthusiasm. In hindsight, I should have known better. Three days before leaving Belgium, I had to endure a fever attack while sleeping. The next morning I had gone to the hospital, where the doctors determined I had a bacterial infection on my longs. I had to take antibiotics for a few days and felt completely recovered when I left for Arizona. Once arrived in Tempe, it was recuperation time, after a few heavy training weeks in Belgium. I did not have further problems, so at the start of the race I had already completely forgotten the infection.
The swimming went fine and I came into T1 with a ‘normal’ delay. Once on the bike, the plan was to move forwards at an even pace. In Arizona, there are 3 laps of 60km. In the first two laps everything went fine, but not ‘super’ like in last year’s race. Nevertheless, after 120km, I had come to within 2 min and 30secs of the leader. During the third lap I got into big problems though: I had no power left in my legs and I felt as if I was standing still. As a result I again lost 4 minutes on my competitors in front of me. When I entered T2, I felt completely powerless and also a little dizzy. This must have been seen by some of the volunteers, since they brought me to the medical tent, where I was given an infusion to recover a bit. Somewhat later I already felt much better physically, but mentally I was still completely down. I had no clue at all on what had gone wrong.Once back in Belgium, I went back to the hospital for further investigation. It was diagnosed that the bacterium (see above) was still in my blood and my body. During the recuperation period before the race, my body has most probably spent more time on fighting this bacterium than on helping the recuperation. As a result, I have probably started the race while I was still very tired from the previous training weeks and I was unable to finish the race under these circumstances. I cannot blame myself for all this and that’s quite a relief. Luckily I was only ill, nothing wrong with my condition and training system.This week I am on antibiotics again: I want to be 100% sure that the bacterial infection is gone. In a few days I will be able to start training again. Since I still have to qualify for Hawaii, I will have to adapt my race calendar a bit. Probably I will participate in Ironman Nice on June 22.
Greetings,
Rutger

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Rutger.
Hope you feel better soon. I know what you feel, i was ill before the race to, but i pulled the plug a lot earlier.

sergio

11:04 PM

 
Blogger Tony said...

Rutger,
Glad to read that it's nothing permanent or too serious. Even if you weren't still sick the weather that day was hellacious! I think you're amazing for putting up the performance that you did considering the bacterial infection. Best of luck to you at Nice, or whichever race you decide on! You deserve to be back at Kona with a shot at the overall win!
-Tony

6:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you!
Hope that you´ll recover soon.

Cheers !
Vesa

2:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home